Carrie’s practice focuses primarily in the area of employment law. She defends employers before state and federal courts, as well as various administrative agencies in matters involving allegations of discrimination, harassment, interference, and retaliation. In addition to litigation, she participates in counseling employers on employment issues they face each day, including wage and hour compliance, disability issues, workplace policies, and litigation avoidance. Before joining KDDK, Carrie defended ski resorts, river rafting outfitters and ski and bicycle rental shops in sports injury related litigation in Colorado and Wyoming.
- FMLA Litigation: Obtained complete summary judgment in the Southern District of Indiana in favor of a large manufacturing company in suit brought by former employee alleging violations of his rights under the FMLA.
- Human Resources: Advised employers on human resources issues, including hiring new employees and evaluating, disciplining, and terminating existing employees.
- Employment Matters: Assisted in counseling employers in all areas of employment law, including wage and hour compliance, classification of exempt status, leave of absence issues and compliance with federal, state and local laws; including Claims arising under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Employee Policy Manuals: Advised employers on best practices for avoiding litigation, including drafting legally compliant employee handbooks, workplace policies and procedures and providing training on such policies.
- Wrongful Termination Defense: Defended employer in successful resolution and litigation involving wrongful termination and breach of employment contract claims.
- Insurance Defense: Successfully defended driver in clear liability auto accident litigation; obtained jury verdict for less than pre-trial offer of settlement.
- Collections, Creditors’ Rights and Subrogation: Obtained successful judgments for clients in over 100 bench trials involving collection and subrogation matters.
Business and Professional Affiliations
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Evansville Bar Association: Employment Law Section
- Evansville-Area Human Resource Association
- “Stock the Pantry” Project for Boys and Girls Club: Co-Founder
- Newburgh United Methodist Church: Member, Former Board of Trustees Member
- Castle High School Girls’ Basketball: Volunteer Assistant Coach
- Leadership Evansville: Program Alumnus (June 2007)
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Southwestern Indiana: Former Board Member
- Impact Christian Health Center: Former Board Secretary
- Recipient, Leadership Evansville Celebration of Leadership Servant Leader Award (2015)
- Selected, Rising Star in Employment and Labor Law, Indiana Super Lawyers® Magazine (2009, 2012)
- Nominated, Leadership Evansville Celebration of Leadership Award (2014)
- Academic All-Big Ten Team for Women’s Basketball (1992 – 1993)
- Blue Key National Honorary Fraternity
- Selections Chair for Mortar Board
Seminars, Presentations and Publications
- Author, “Curbing Intermittent FMLA Abuse” Article Published on www.KDDK.com (October 2014)
- Author, “Same-sex FMLA spousal leave got you confused? Changes are coming.” Article Published on www.KDDK.com (July 2014)
- Author, “Background Checks – A New Must-Read for Employers,” Article Published on www.KDDK.com(March 2014)
- Author, “I don’t have to pay my employees overtime if I pay them a salary, right?” Article Published on www.KDDK.com (November 2013)
- Presenter, “Labor and Employment Law Annual Update,” KDDK Seminar (August 2013)
- Author, “NLRB Nominees Confirmed: What Can Employers Expect?” Article Published on www.KDDK.com (August 2013)
- Author, “Interns: To Pay or Not to Pay?” Article Published on www.KDDK.com (June 2013)
- Author, “All Employers Must Use Newly Revised Form I-9,″ Article Published on www.KDDK.com (April 2013)
- Author, “Five Telecommuting Issues for Employers,” Article Published on www.KDDK.com (March 2013)
- “Preparing for and Defending an EEOC Charge,” Evansville-Area Human Resource Association
- Author, “Vacation Pay When Employees Leave,” Article Published on www.KDDK.com (August 2012)
- “Employee Handbooks: Pointers and Pitfalls,” Owensboro Society for Human Resource Management – The Chamber of Commerce of Southwest Indiana
- “Landlord & Tenant Issues: Resolve Them The First Time,” KDDK Lunch and Learn
- “Accident Investigation and Participant Waivers From A Legal Perspective,” Colorado River Outfitters Association
- Legislative Update – Chapter Connection – Evansville-Area Human Resources Association
- “NLRB Delays Posting Requirement,” KDDK News Flash
- “EEOC Examines Excluding Unemployed from Job Applicant Pool,” EHRA (March 2011)
- Employment Law Update – Chapter Connection – Evansville-Area Human Resources Association
- “Indiana’s Guns at Work Law”
- “Healthcare Coverage Reporting on W-2 Delayed until 2012,” EHRA (October 2010)
- “Background Checks: Employers Beware,” EHRA (September 2010)
- “FLSA Now Requires Break Time for Nursing Mothers,” EHRA (June 2010)
- “Recess Appointments Fill Vacant NLRB Seats,” EHRA (May 2010)
- “NLRB Takes Aim at Facebook Firings”
- “Effective July 1:Renters Gain New Privacy Rights”
- “Landlord/Tenant – Legislative Update”
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana (B.S., 1995)
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado (J.D., 2001)
- State of Indiana
- State of Colorado (inactive)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado