Alan Shovers is a business and tax transactions lawyer. Alan began his career as a Certified Public Accountant in the law department of a national accounting firm. From there he joined a Chicago business law firm and subsequently came to Evansville over forty years ago. With his accounting background, he has been advising businesses, with a particular focus on minimizing the tax impact on business transactions. Much of Alan’s practice has been committed to deal making and his tax background also has allowed a crossover to individual estate and personal finance planning. Through the principles of “Getting to Yes” and a great deal of creativity, Alan has received business community credit for putting together many transactions where all sides walk away feeling good about the end results.
- 1964: University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisc., J.D. cum laude
- 1961: University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisc., B.B.A.
- Business Sales: Advised a business owner in preparing the business for sale. After the business owner had developed a proper balance sheet and structural staff arrangements, assisted in finding potential buyers and setting terms and pricing. Advised business owner on the tax consequences of a sale. Result was a net of tax price that was triple his expectations. Elements of this type advice have been given to dozens of business owners.
- Estate Planning: Advises individuals in tax and estate planning issues including living wills, trusts and wills to minimize taxes and achieve family goals.
- Negotiations: Negotiated joint venture disputes between medical center and physicians, which resulted in two happy and profitable partners.
- Generational Transfers: Assisted businesses in planning for the succession of children into a business and management, while keeping siblings in concert with one another. Over the years have had several businesses where these efforts were then carried out successfully for a third generation.
Publications and Presentations
- Objects of Desire – The Art of Frederick Carder, Author and Photographer
- “The Limited Liability Shield: An Appellate Court Decision”
- “Selling Your Business Can Be A Personal, Impactful Journey”
- “Piercing the Corporate Veil: An LLC Owner Gone Wrong”
- American Bar Association
- Indiana Bar Association
- Evansville Bar Association
- Licensed (inactive) Certified Public Accountant, Indiana
- Tri-State Multiple Sclerosis Association, Inc.: Director and Former Chairman
- University of Southern Indiana Foundation: Life Director
- Carder Steuben Club: Director and Former President
- State of Indiana
- State of Illinois
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Tax Court
- Rated, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected, Indiana Super Lawyers® Magazine (2004 – 2006)