- Estate Planning: Develops and implements tax and estate plans for individuals and families, including wills, various trusts (revocable living trusts, credit shelter trusts, trusts for children, irrevocable life insurance trusts), advance directives (general durable powers of attorney, healthcare representative appointments, living will declarations), intra-family loans, and pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements.
- Hospitals and Physician Groups: Has represented local hospital in the land acquisition for its expansion to a second campus, leases with physicians and health care providers, and property tax exemption applications. Represented physician groups with corporate governance, shareholder agreements, contract negotiations and regulatory compliance.
- 1031 Like-kind Exchanges: Has achieved deferral of millions of dollars in capital gains taxes using §1031 like-kind exchange techniques for business and investment real estate, including forward and reverse exchanges and construction of improvements exchanges.
- Family Gifting: Establishes family limited liability companies (LLC’s) and land trusts to facilitate gifting of business and investment real estate and vacation homes to children.
- Trust and Probate Administration: Represents banks and individuals in their roles as personal representatives in the court-administered probate process, and instructs executors and trustees regarding their fiduciary responsibilities in the transfer and distribution of assets and in the preparation and filing of estate and inheritance tax returns.
- Condominiums: Establishes stand-alone condominium developments and condominium conversions of existing multi-story buildings, and counsels condominium developers in the practical steps involved in the eventual transfer of control to owners associations.
- Closely-held Businesses: Counsels small business owners concerning formation of limited liability companies, partnerships and corporations, buy-sell and shareholder agreements, corporate governance, employment agreements, confidentiality, and non-compete agreements.
- Real Estate Development: Represents developers of residential subdivisions, industrial projects and retail centers, including contract and lease negotiations, establishing restrictive covenants, and on infrastructure and traffic issues.
- Trust Termination and Modification: Has sought court approval in terminating irrevocable life insurance trusts where the goals of business protection from estate taxes were no longer present, and modifying irrevocable charitable and special needs trusts to address unanticipated circumstances.