Allison K. Comstock
Allison assists individuals in developing and implementing their estate plans to provide for the strategic transition of assets to children, protect disabled or incapacitated family members, and effectively utilize available estate and gift tax exemptions. She advises executors and trustees during the process of probate and trust administration. Allison also represents businesses and individuals in a variety of real estate matters, including acquisitions, sales, leasing and development of commercial and residential properties and tax-deferred §1031 like-kind exchanges. Allison assists small business owners and physician groups with entity formation, negotiating contracts, and protecting the business owners’ interests using confidentiality, non-compete, and shareholder agreements. Allison enjoys utilizing her experience to find practical and successful solutions to her clients’ challenges, and takes the time to understand each client’s situation to provide personalized service.
- 1991: Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, Calif., B.A. magna cum laude
- 1993: Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, Calif., J.D. cum laude
- Estate Planning: Develops and implements estate plans for individuals and families, including wills, various trusts (revocable living trusts, credit shelter trusts, trusts for children, special needs trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts), advance directives (general durable powers of attorney, healthcare representative appointments, living will declarations), intra-family loans, and pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements.
- Hospitals and Physician Groups: Represents local hospital in leases with physicians and health care providers, property tax exemption applications, and land acquisitions for campus expansion projects. Represents physician groups with corporate governance, shareholder agreements, and contract negotiations.
- 1031 Like-kind Exchanges: Achieved deferral of millions of dollars in capital gains taxes using §1031 like-kind exchange techniques for business and investment real estate, including forward and reverse exchanges and construction of improvements exchanges.
- Family Gifting: Establishes family limited liability companies (LLC’s) and land trusts to facilitate gifting of farmland, business and investment real estate, and vacation homes to children and grandchildren.
- Trust and Probate Administration: Represents banks and individuals in their roles as personal representatives (executors) in the court-administered probate process, and instructs executors and trustees regarding their fiduciary responsibilities in the post-death transfer and distribution of assets and in the preparation and filing of estate tax returns.
- Condominiums: Establishes stand-alone condominium developments and condominium conversions of existing multi-story buildings, and counsels condominium developers in the practical steps involved in the eventual transfer of control to owners associations.
- Closely-held Businesses: Counsels small business owners concerning formation of limited liability companies, partnerships and corporations, buy-sell and shareholder agreements, corporate governance, employment agreements, confidentiality, and non-compete agreements.
- Real Estate Development: Represents developers of industrial projects and retail centers, including contract and lease negotiations, establishing restrictive covenants, and on infrastructure and traffic issues.
- Trust Termination and Modification: Obtained court approval in terminating irrevocable life insurance trusts where the estate tax planning goal was no longer a concern, and modifying irrevocable charitable and special needs trusts to address unanticipated circumstances.
Publications and Presentations
- “Trusts for Disabled Family Members,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (April 2017)
- “Legal Updates Regarding Land Development” and “Commercial Property Purchase and Lease,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2015)
- “Charitable Solicitation Registration State by State: What Every Not-For-Profit Should Know,” Evansville Area Fundraising Council Meeting, Presenter (March 2016)
- “WARNING: Title Insurance Underwriter Bankrupt,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2015)
- “Cutting the Red Tape or Buyer Beware? Indiana’s Repeal of the Responsible Property Transfer Law,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2014)
- “Is Estate Planning Among Your New Year’s Resolutions?” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (January 2014)
- “Deferring Capital Gains Tax on the Sale of Investment Real Estate” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2012)
- “Estate Planning for Your Business,” Article Published in The Indiana Auctioneer magazine, Summer 2010 issue, Author
- “How to Protect Your Family Using Advance Directives,” Long Term Care Seminar, Presenter
- “Estate Planning Considerations for Real Estate Professionals,” Indiana Auctioneers Association continuing education seminar, Presenter
- “What Women Should Know for Financial Security,” A Network of Evansville Women meeting, Presenter
- “Principled Negotiations,” University of Evansville Executive MBA Program, Guest Lecturer
- “What is Estate Planning and What Does it Do for You?” “Estate Planning Concerns for Your 50’s and 60’s,” and “Estate Planning Concerns for Your 70’s and 80’s,” Life Planning 101 Seminar Series, Presenter
- “Condominiums and Planned Unit Developments,” Evansville Bar Association Seminar, Presenter
- “Condominiums, Planned Unit Developments and Neighborhood Associations,” “The New Property Tax Regulations for Real Property Assessment,” and “Reassessment and the New Property Tax Regulations,” Lorman Educational Services Seminars, Presenter
- “As Our Parents Age” and “Issues in Buying and Selling Your Home,” Fifth Third Bank Women’s Financial Group, Panelist
- “Hot Tips For New Real Estate Agents,” Seminar Presenter
- “Civil Rights Issues in Selling & Leasing,” Evansville Area Association of Realtors Continuing Education Seminar, Presenter
- Evansville Bar Association: Probate, Elder Law and Guardianship Section, Former Chair; Real Estate Section; Women In Law Committee
- Evansville Estate and Financial Planning Council: Former Board President and Director
- Indiana State Bar Association: Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, Elder Law Section
- American Bar Association: Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Indiana Licensed Real Estate Instructor
- Evansville Bar Foundation: Board of Directors
- Women’s Fund of Vanderburgh County: Advisory Board Member, Founding Member
- A Network of Evansville Women (ANEW): Former Director and Officer
- Junior League of Evansville: Sustaining Member
- Koch Family Children’s Museum of Evansville (cMoe): Former Director and President
- YWCA of Evansville: Former Director and Executive Committee Member
- Vanderburgh Community Foundation: Former President, Vice President, Secretary and Director; Former Spirit of Giving Awards Committee Chair
- Evansville-Vanderburgh County Commission on Domestic & Sexual Violence: Former Member
- United Way of Southwestern Indiana: Former Campaign Cabinet Member
- IMPACT Christian Health Center, Inc.: Former Director and Secretary
- Athena Awards Committee: Former Member
- Leadership Evansville: Program Alumnus (1997)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law
- Rated, AV® Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Finalist, Metropolitan Evansville Chamber of Commerce, Athena Award (2005)
- Nominated, Leadership Evansville Celebration of Leadership Award (2007)
- Recognized, Junior League of Evansville, For pro-bono legal services provided (January 2002)