Carrie Mount Roelle
Carrie’s practice focuses primarily in the area of employment law. She defends employers before state and federal courts, as well as various administrative agencies in matters involving allegations of discrimination, harassment, interference, and retaliation. In addition to litigation, she participates in counseling employers on employment issues they face each day, including wage and hour compliance, disability accommodation, workplace policies, and litigation avoidance. Before joining KDDK, Carrie defended ski resorts, river rafting outfitters and ski and bicycle rental shops in sports injury related litigation in Colorado and Wyoming.
- 1995: Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind., B.S.
- 2001: University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Co., J.D.
- FMLA Litigation: Obtained complete summary judgment in the Southern District of Indiana in favor of a large manufacturing company in suit brought by former employee alleging violations of his rights under the FMLA.
- Human Resources: Advises employers on human resources issues, including hiring new employees and evaluating, disciplining, and terminating existing employees.
- Employment Matters: Counsels employers in all areas of employment law, including wage and hour compliance, classification of exempt status, leave of absence issues, and compliance with federal, state and local laws, including claims arising under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Prepares employment agreements, including non-competition and severance agreements.
- Employee Policy Manuals: Advises employers on best practices for avoiding litigation, including drafting legally compliant employee handbooks, workplace policies and procedures and providing training on such policies.
- Wrongful Termination Defense: Defends employers in resolution and litigation involving wrongful termination and breach of employment contract claims.
- Insurance Defense: Successfully defended driver in clear liability auto accident litigation; obtained jury verdict for less than pre-trial offer of settlement.
- Collections, Creditors’ Rights and Subrogation: Obtained successful judgments for clients in over 100 bench trials involving collection and subrogation matters.
- Closely-Held Business
Publications and Presentations
- “The Changing Labor and Employment Law Landscape: Where Do Employers Go From Here?” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (April 2018)
- “Workplace Harassment and the #MeToo Era,” Owensboro Society for Human Resource Management Seminar, Presenter (April 2018)
- “Employment Law Hot Topics,” In-House Counsel CLE, Presenter (November 2017)
- “All Employers Must Use New Form I-9,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (March 2017)
- “Effective Employee Handbooks,” Owensboro Society for Human Resource Management Seminar, Presenter (February 2017)
- “Employment Records and Retention & Other Employment Law Updates and Tips,” Kentucky Association of Healthcare Recruiters Seminar, Presenter (October 2016)
- “They’re Here! New Salary Requirements for Employees Exempt from Overtime Pay,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (June 2016); Posey County Alliance (June 2016)
- “Defending an EEOC Charge,” Owensboro Society for Human Resource Management Seminar, Presenter (September 2015)
- Becky Skillman Leadership Institute – Panelist (June 2015)
- “Current Issues in Labor and Employment Law,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2015)
- “Preventing FMLA Abuse: A Legal Perspective,” Owensboro Society for Human Resource Management Seminar, Presenter (September 2014); Midwest Kentucky SHRM Seminar (April 2015)
- “Curbing Intermittent FMLA Abuse” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2014)
- “Same-sex FMLA spousal leave got you confused? Changes are coming.” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (July 2014)
- “Background Checks – A New Must-Read for Employers,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (March 2014)
- “I don’t have to pay my employees overtime if I pay them a salary, right?” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (November 2013)
- “Labor and Employment Law Annual Update,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (August 2013)
- “NLRB Nominees Confirmed: What Can Employers Expect?” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (August 2013)
- “Interns: To Pay or Not to Pay?”Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2013)
- “All Employers Must Use Newly Revised Form I-9,″Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (April 2013)
- “Five Telecommuting Issues for Employers,”Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (March 2013)
- “Preparing for and Defending an EEOC Charge,” Evansville-Area Human Resource Association (EHRA) Seminar, Presenter (July 2011)
- “Vacation Pay When Employees Leave,”Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (August 2012)
- “Employee Handbooks: Pointers and Pitfalls,” Owensboro Society for Human Resource Management Seminar, Presenter (March 2011); The Chamber of Commerce of Southwest Indiana Seminar, Presenter (July 2011)
- “Landlord & Tenant Issues: Resolve Them The First Time,” KDDK Lunch and Learn Seminar, Presenter
- “Accident Investigation and Participant Waivers From A Legal Perspective,” Colorado River Outfitters Association Seminar, Presenter
- Legislative Update, Chapter Connection, EHRA
- “NLRB Delays Posting Requirement,” KDDK News Flash, Author
- “EEOC Examines Excluding Unemployed from Job Applicant Pool,” Chapter Connection, EHRA (March 2011)
- Employment Law Update, Chapter Connection, EHRA
- “Indiana’s Guns at Work Law”
- “Healthcare Coverage Reporting on W-2 Delayed until 2012,” Chapter Connection, EHRA (October 2010)
- “Background Checks: Employers Beware,” Chapter Connection, EHRA (September 2010)
- “FLSA Now Requires Break Time for Nursing Mothers,” Chapter Connection, EHRA (June 2010)
- “Recess Appointments Fill Vacant NLRB Seats,” Chapter Connection, EHRA (May 2010)
- “NLRB Takes Aim at Facebook Firings”
- “Effective July 1:Renters Gain New Privacy Rights”
- “Landlord/Tenant – Legislative Update”
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Evansville Bar Association: Board of Directors, Employment Law Section
- Evansville Bar Foundation: Board of Directors
- Evansville-Area Human Resource Association
- Boys and Girls Club of Evansville: Board of Directors
- “Stock the Pantry” Project for Boys and Girls Club: Co-Founder
- Newburgh United Methodist Church: Board of Trustees, Member
- Castle High School Girls’ Basketball: Volunteer Assistant Coach
- Leadership Evansville: Program Alumnus (June 2007)
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Southwestern Indiana: Former Board Member
- Impact Christian Health Center: Former Board Secretary
- Southern Indiana Triathlon Team: Member; Ironman Chattanooga Finisher 2017
- Recipient, Warrick County Cares I CARE Award (2019)
- Selected, Southwest Indiana Chamber, ATHENA Award Honoree (2019)
- Selected, 2016 Women’s Silver Anniversary Team, Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame (2016)
- Recipient, Leadership Evansville Celebration of Leadership Servant Leader Award (2015)
- Selected, Indiana Super Lawyers® Magazine, Rising Star in Employment and Labor Law (2009, 2012)
- Nominated, Leadership Evansville Celebration of Leadership Award (2014)
- Academic All-Big Ten Team for Women’s Basketball (1992 – 1993)
- Blue Key National Honorary Fraternity
- Selections Chair for Mortar Board
- State of Indiana
- State of Colorado (inactive)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana