G. Michael Schopmeyer
Mike has 35 years’ experience practicing as a business attorney, with his whole career at KDDK. His skills center on closing and resolving business, construction, environmental, and real and intellectual property deals and disputes. Honed from service as a private practitioner, government attorney, arbitrator, and civic leader, Mike’s financial acumen empowers clients to more swiftly reach durable solutions. As a result, he delivers economic advantages for our clients. Mike's goal in attending law school was not to practice law, but to be an in-house corporate attorney. What he found at KDDK was a broad diversity of business clients in a broad spectrum of industries, which keep him happy in practice.
- 1980: University of Evansville, Evansville, Ind., B.S., Business Administration, Finance Major
- 1983: Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Ind., J.D.
- Brownfield Redevelopment: Organized the clean-up and redevelopment of most of the region’s brownfield and environmental remediation sites, recovering the funding for clients to accomplish these clean-ups through negotiated settlements, not litigation. (Recently, a large industrial site we worked was visited by Chinese delegates to learn about the globally-acceptable design and implementation of soil and groundwater remediation.)
- Business Supply Contracting: Negotiated successfully manufacturing supplier agreements across many industries, including pharmaceutical, automotive and construction, resolving the time-sensitive terms and conditions crucial for Fortune 500 companies’ supply lines.
- Construction Projects: Eliminated wasteful construction claims by effectively incorporating and administering creative incentive, indemnity and dispute resolution clauses from owner’s, contractor’s and subcontractor’s perspectives.
- Mega-Industrial and Headquarters Site Assemblage: Completed on-time and on-budget the legal oversight of many of the area’s largest commercial and industrial facilities by negotiating unique cost-saving contracts for assembling land tracts and erecting major new corporate headquarters and manufacturing facilities.
- Condemnation: Resolved more than 50 complex and potentially costly condemnation cases by utilizing novel methods, such as applying engineering and alternative valuation solutions that improve a site’s future economic and development potential, from both private owner’s and government’s perspectives.
- Real Estate Acquisition and Leasing; Prevailed with out-of-state legal counsel in negotiating profitable multi-state real estate acquisition and leasing contracts.
- Rezoning: Served in both obtaining and successfully remonstrating against rezoning petitions before most of Southwest Indiana’s municipalities and counties.
- Wetlands Mitigation: Collaborated with teams of U. S. Army Corps of Engineers and Indiana Department of Environmental Management in developing covenants and restrictions for wetlands mitigation and permits required for major commercial developments.
- Trademark and Copyright: Succeeded in prosecuting the resolution of multiple trademark and copyright infringement claims.
- Property Tax Incentives: Captured property tax incentives required to entice expanding and new relocating businesses to various regions across Indiana.
- Tax Exempt Bond Financing: Assisted developers, city and state economic development entities in gaining favorable tax exempt bond financing, allowing the expansion of educational, healthcare and industrial facilities.
- Municipalities and Government
Publications and Presentations
- “Locally Based, Globally Capable,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2017)
- “New Leader, New Rules: The President Trump White House and impactful environmental and commercial real estate law developments,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2017)
- “Court Limits DNR’s Rule on Waterfront Rights,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (January 2017)
- “3 Reasons Real Estate Sites Miss Short Lists,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2016)
- “Get the Dirt on Soil, Air and Water: Recent Developments in Environmental Law,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2016)
- “Legal Updates Regarding Land Development” and “Commercial Property Purchase and Lease,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2015)
- “Turmoil in Big-Box and Chain Store Property Tax Assessments,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2015)
- “Settle or Risk Paying Both Sides’ Legal and Expert Fees,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2014)
- “Achieving Value and Security in Supply Contracting,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2014)
- “Supply Contracts and Purchase Orders: Why the Boilerplate Really Matters,” KDDK Seminar, Moderator (May 2014)
- “Brownfields Legal Issues and Cost Recovery Claims,” EPA Brownfields Workshop, Presenter (September 2013)
- “EPA’s Regulatory Vise Grip: Protecting Your Business from Aggressive Enforcement Actions,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (August 2013)
- “Tenants Beware: Follow EPA’s new guidance or succumb to environmental liabilities?”Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2013)
- “Property Tax: A 2011 Review,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter (2011)
- “Public Contracts and Procurement Regulations in Indiana: Procurement and Competitive Bidding: Pre-Bid,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter (2008)
- “Passing the Buck: A Transfer of Land or Environmental Liability,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Seminar, Presenter (2006)
- “Overcoming the Pitfalls in Local Governmental Land Use and Zoning Processes,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter (2006)
- “Environmental Law for the General Practitioner,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Seminar, Presenter (2006)
- “Real Estate Development Plat and Subdivision Law,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter (2006)
- “Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter (2006)
- Legal Strategies for Controlling and Reducing Claims, “Design, Bid and Contract Negotiations” (2006)
- “Current Environmental Issues for Business and Environmental Professionals” Seminar, Presenter (2004)
- “Brownfields Redevelopment,” City Of Evansville Seminar, Presenter (2002)
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution Techniques For Resolving Environmental Disputes,” Indiana State Bar Association (2002)
- “More Hot Tips in Environmental Law,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Presenter (2002)
- “Property Tax Incentives: Economic Revitalization Areas, Enterprise Zones and Brownfield Revitalization Zones,” Lorman Education Services, Presenter (2002, 2003 and 2007)
- “Brownfields and Cost Recovery” (2001)
- “Developing the Indiana Landscape: Greenfields and How to Avoid Environmental and Zoning Pitfalls,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Presenter (2000)
- “Negotiating the Brownfield Deal and Environmental Due Diligence: Seller’s Perspective on Selling Contaminated Properties,” CLA International (1998)
- “Update on Environmental Law – New Clean-up Standards and Brownfields – Will it Get Easier, Cheaper and Faster?” (1998)
- “Current Environmental Law Issues Affecting Lenders” (1998)
- “Update on Environmental Law – Evolving Brownfield Legislation, Risk-Based Clean-up Standards and Voluntary Remediation Programs” (1997)
- “Legal Strategies for Controlling and Reducing Contractor Claims” (1996)
- “Update on Environmental Law – Brownfields, Inspections, Internal Audits and USTS” (1996)
- “Brownfields and Cost Recovery” (1993), “The 10-Minute Life and Times of the ASTM Standard for Environmental Assessments” (1993), “New Development: Identifying and Cleaning Up Contaminated Property” (1993), “Impact of New Environmental Law Developments on Real Estate Transactions” (1992), “Current Developments in Municipalities Superfund Liability” (1991), “Environmental Problems for Lenders & Fiduciaries” (1990) , “Developing the Indiana Landscape: Greenfields and How to Avoid Environmental and Zoning Pitfalls,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Presenter
- “OSHA/EPA Interface,” Indiana Manufacturers Association (1994)
- American Bar Association: Construction Industry, Environmental Law, Business Law, and Intellectual Property Law Sections
- American Arbitration Association: Level II Arbitrator
- Indiana State Bar Association: Environmental Section, Former Chairman (2002)
- Evansville Bar Association: Real Estate and Commercial Law Sections
- Indiana Licensed Real Estate Instructor
- Attorney to the Evansville/Vanderburgh Convention & Visitors Commission (1985 – present)
- Former City Attorney for Evansville, Indiana (1999 – 2003)
- Southwest Indiana Chamber: Executive Committee Member and Former Chairman
- Economic Development Coalition of Southwest Indiana, Inc.: Chair-Elect
- Jobs for Southwestern Indiana: Co-Chairman
- Evansville Tree Advisory Board: Former Chairman
- Keep Evansville Beautiful: Board of Directors, Lifetime Member and Former President
- Christ the King Catholic Church: Former Parish Council President
- University of Evansville Schroeder Family School of Business: Advisory Board Member
- F.C. Evansville (youth soccer): Treasurer
- Southwestern Indiana Easter Seal Society: Former President
- Old Courthouse Preservation Society: Former President
- Recipient, Richard A. Schlottman Business Person of the Year Award, Southwest Indiana Chamber (2015)
- Rated, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell® (since 1986)
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Environmental Law
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation – Environmental
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Construction Law
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law
- Selected, Indiana Super Lawyers® Magazine, Super Lawyer (2018, 2017, 2016, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009)
- Recipient, Lifetime Member Award, Keep Evansville Beautiful, Inc. (2014)
- Selected, Business Leader of the Year, University of Evansville Delta Sigma Pi (2013)
- Selected, Board Member of the Year, Keep Evansville Beautiful, Inc. (2011)
- Selected, Volunteer of the Year, Southwest Indiana Chamber (2008)
- Recipient, Environmental Excellence Award, Southwest Indiana Chamber (2003)
- Recipient, Environmental Excellence Award , Evansville Westside Improvement Association (2002)
- Selected, Citizen of the Year, Westside Civitan (1996)
- Selected, Vice Chair of the Year, Southwest Indiana Chamber (1995)
- Recipient, Alumni Certificate of Excellence, University of Evansville (1980)
- Selected, Blue Key (Treasurer) and Mortar Board (President) (1979), University of Evansville
- Track Letterman, University of Evansville (1977)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana