Larry R. Downs
Larry Downs has practiced labor and employment law for nearly 40 years, during which time he has represented employers’ interests before the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Labor, and other administrative bodies. With a focus on recognizing each client’s unique business interests and crafting efficient, timely solutions to further those interests, Larry has amassed substantial experience in areas of labor law including, but not limited to, contract negotiation, arbitration and union avoidance.
- 1970: DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind., B.A.
- 1974: Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Bloomington, Ind., J.D.
- Labor Unions: Represents employers in union organizing and elections in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, and other states. Assists clients with their labor strategies and labor negotiations, including serving as Chief Spokesperson for employers in union contract negotiations and assisting with union campaigns, unfair labor practice charges and union avoidance matters.
- Labor Law Administrative Proceedings: Defends businesses in unfair labor practice cases and representation hearings before the National Labor Relations Board and in Title VII and other employment discrimination litigation.
- Labor Contract Administration, Arbitration and Negotiation: Assists employers in the negotiation, day-to-day administration and arbitration of labor contract-related issues ranging from discipline, discharge, demotion, and subcontracting to management rights, plant closing agreements and strike situations. Has handled more than 50 arbitration cases; and conducted public sector interest arbitration and negotiations.
- Compliance Counseling/Training: Provides legal and practical guidance and corporate compliance training regarding topics such as FMLA, ADA, Title VII, development of employee handbooks, employment policies, wage and hour compliance, sexual harassment avoidance, employment agreements, union avoidance, non-competition protection, severance agreements, fair employment practices, effective discipline, and defensible termination.
- Warehousing and Distribution Operations
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association: Labor and Employment Law Section, Former Chairman
- Evansville Bar Association
- Corporation Counsel, City of Evansville, Indiana (1999-2003)
- Harvard Negotiation Workshop (1987)
- Southwestern Indiana Easter Seal Society: Former Chairman
- Tri-State Public Teleplex (public radio/TV)
- State of Indiana
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Rated, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell®