Maria Bulkley practices in the areas of business law, real estate development, land use planning, mediation, and family law. She assists clients with the local government processes connected with land use and real estate development and negotiates encroachment agreements, easement agreements, economic development incentives, and other agreements essential to real estate development. Maria represents individuals and businesses in real estate takings cases. She serves as a mediator for domestic relations and general civil matters. In addition, she represents clients in family law matters with an emphasis on dissolutions of marriage involving complex marital estates. Maria is also trained and experienced in Collaborative Family Practice.
- 1994: University of Evansville, Evansville, Ind., B.A. Spanish, B.S. Finance/Economics/International Business
- 1997: Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Ind., J.D.
- Representation of businesses in land use planning and development of real estate including rezoning, variances, site permits, street vacations, and economic development incentives.
- Business and real estate contract drafting and negotiation and mergers and acquisitions documentation.
- Corporate recordkeeping and documentation and formation of business entities.
- Representation of individuals and businesses in condemnation/property rights cases; negotiation with government agencies in takings cases for redesign of construction plans more favorable to landowner and monetary damages payments.
- Dissolution of marriage for complex marital estates.
- Indiana Registered Mediator in domestic relations, general civil mediations and mortgage foreclosure mediation.
- Collaborative law: Formal training and practical experience in handling collaborative dissolution of marriage as an alternative to litigated dissolution and custody.
- Real Estate
Publications and Presentations
- “Rezoning Process to Quicken in City of Evansville and Vanderburgh County,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2017)
- “Zoning Contingencies in Commercial Real Estate Purchase Agreements,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2017)
- “Be Ready to ‘Spring Forward’ in 2016 with New Construction,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (December 2015)
- “Legal Updates Regarding Land Development” and “Commercial Property Purchase and Lease,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2015)
- “Can Guardians Pursue Divorce on Behalf of Wards? Court of Appeals Publishes Ruling.” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2013)
- “Indiana Supreme Court Upholds the Confidentiality of Statements Made in Mediation,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2013)
- “How Emotions Affect Negotiations,” Women’s Council of Realtors, Presenter
- “Governor Signs Amendment To Child Support Law,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (March 2012)
- “Principled Negotiations,” University of Evansville Executive MBA Class, Presenter
- “Real Estate Development, Plat and Subdivision Law in Indiana,” Continuing Education Presentation or Attorneys and Engineers, Presenter
- “Legal Issues in Starting and Running a Business,” Fifth Third Women’s Financial Group, Presenter
- “The Nuts and Bolts of Serving on a Not-for-Profit Board of Directors,” Evansville Bar Association, Seminar Chair, Presenter, Contributing Author
- “Local Zoning Laws and Abandoned Vehicle Ordinance Enforcement,” United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE), Presenter
- “Code Enforcement,” Annual Conference of Neighborhood Associations’ Focus Council, Presenter
- “Ethics in Multi-Disciplinary Practice,” Brooks American Inns of Court, Presenter
- “Legal Issues Symposium: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Other Legal Issues for Universities,” Presentation to Faculty at University of Evansville Fall Faculty Conference
- “Code Enforcement Law and The Housing Court System,” United Neighborhoods of Evansville (UNOE), Presenter
- “Forum on Race and Gender Fairness in the State Judicial System,” Indiana Supreme Court, Facilitator
- “Careers in the Legal Profession,” Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation, Presenter
- Evansville Bar Association: Board Member (2008 – 2009); Former Family Law Section Chair and Real Estate Law Section Member; Continuing Legal Education Committee (2001-2004), Former Chair; Long-Range Planning Task Force (2003); Former Producer of Young Lawyers Boot Camp
- Indiana State Bar Association: Family Law Section, Land Use Planning Section
- Collaborative Family Practice Attorney: Interdisciplinary Training in Collaborative Family Practice, Central Indiana Association of Collaborative Professionals (2013 – Present)
- Indiana Registered Domestic Relations Mediator (2005 – Present)
- Indiana Registered Civil Mediator (2006 – Present)
- Indiana Registered Mortgage Foreclosure Mediator (2009 – Present)
- Indiana Licensed Real Estate Instructor
- Brooks American Inn of Court
- City of Evansville Code Enforcement Hearing Authority Board, Pro Tem Hearing Officer (2004 – 2011)
- Southwest Indiana Chamber: Diverse Business Alliance Propel Program, Mentor (Former)
- Former Assistant City Attorney for Evansville (2000 – 2003)
- Marian Educational Outreach (MEO): Board of Directors (2013 – 2015)
- Vanderburgh Humane Society, Inc.: Board of Directors (2000 – 2006), President (2006), Vice President (2005)
- Reitz Home Preservation Society, Inc.: Board of Trustees (2000 – 2004)
- A Network of Evansville Women (ANEW): Member
- Leadership Evansville: Program Alumnus
- Community Volunteer: Magic Shoe (Shoes for Kids) Volunteer; Volunteer Lawyer Program; Talk to a Lawyer Program; Albion Fellows Bacon Center Domestic Violence Assistance Program; Red Mass Committee; University of Southern Indiana E-business Curriculum Committee; University of Evansville Mentor Net; Arts Council of Southwestern Indiana (past membership drive committee chair); Reitz Home Preservation Society, Inc.-Mystery Event, Victorian Gala, Bylaws Chair/Editor and Education Committee (co-author of children’s workbook for use in the EVSC); Operation City Beautiful Annual Fund Drive; YMCA Annual Fund Drive; Judge-University of Evansville student oral arguments
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Land Use and Zoning Law
- Rated, BV® Distinguished™, Martindale-Hubbell®