Robert F. “Ted” Barron II
Robert F. “Ted” Barron II counsels healthcare clients, including hospitals, joint ventures, surgery centers, physicians, physician groups, rehabilitation centers, and mental health centers on contractual matters, regulatory and compliance issues, various operational matters, and employment issues. In addition, Ted assists business entities in a variety of general business and employment matters, including the formation of new businesses, joint ventures, and negotiation of business contracts. Ted also represents clients in prosecuting and defending cases involving employment agreements, non-competition agreements and trade secrets provisions.
- 1979: Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind., B.A
- 1990: University of Missouri, St. Louis, Mo., M.B.A.
- 1996: Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Bloomington, Ind., J.D. cum laude
- Health Care Mergers and Acquisitions: Assists hospitals in negotiating and closing the purchase and sale of physician practices, home health agencies, rehabilitation companies, and other healthcare related entities.
- Health Care Joint Ventures: Assists hospitals in negotiating, structuring and contracting for the formation and operation of joint venture healthcare entities in compliance with federal regulations applicable to non-profit and for-profit joint venture partners.
- Regulatory Compliance: Advises hospitals on compliance with the Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse laws, the Stark Act, the False Claims Act, HIPAA, EMTALA, and IRS regulations applicable to tax-exempt hospitals.
- Physician Agreements: Drafts and reviews physician independent contractor and employment agreements for various healthcare entities. Directs fair market value and compliance audits related to physician contracts and compensation.
- Hospital Law: Counsels hospitals on a variety of issues including physician recruiting and retention, third-party reimbursement, informed consent, and retention and release of general and mental health medical records.
- Non-Competition and Trade Secret Law: Assists entities in drafting non-compete and trade secret agreements and in successfully prosecuting and defending claims related to non-compete and trade secrets violations.
Publications and Presentations
- “Government Cybersecurity Newsletter Coincides with $5.5 Million Settlement,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (April 2017)
- “CMS Issues Final “60 Day Rule” on Healthcare Overpayments,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (April 2016)
- “CMS Clarifies Healthcare Stark Regulations and Finalizes New Stark Exceptions,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (November 2015)
- “False Claims Act Cases Continue to Grow,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (December 2014)
- “Boston Marathon Serves as Reminder of Valuable Service of Community Health Care Providers,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (April 2014)
- “Fair Market Value Physician Compensation,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (March 2013)
- “Employers Face Increasing Scrutiny Over Hiring Illegal Workers,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (January 2013)
- “Avoiding Email HIPAA Violations,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (August 2012)
- “Obama Administration Announces Relief for Young Illegal Immigrants,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2012)
- “Code Share Agreements: A Developing Trend in U.S. Bilateral Aviation Negotiations,” Article Published in Indiana Law Journal Volume 72, 1997, Author
- Confidentiality of Medical Records in Indiana, Lorman Education Services
- Advance Medical Directives
- Court Defines Non-Compete Covenants
- Common Legal Issues in Physician Offices
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Indiana State Bar Association: Health Law Section, Business Law Section
- Evansville Bar Association: Board of Directors, Former Member; Access to Justice Committee, Member and Former Chair; Diversity Subcommittee, Former Member
- Qantas Airways, Ltd. (1982-1988; Manager SW USA & Latin America; General Manager Argentina & Latin America)
- Southern Indiana Graduate Medical Education (GME) Consortium: Legal Counsel
- Legal Aid Society of Evansville: Former President and Board Member
- St. Vincent Center for Family & Children: Former President and long-time Board Member
- Evansville Airport Authority Advisory Committee: Former Member
- Evansville Tochigi City Sister City Committee Advisory Board: Former Member
- Leadership Evansville: Former Director
- State of Indiana
- Commonwealth of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- Spanish (fluent)
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Health Care Law
- Recipient, Doran E. Perdue Service Award, Evansville Bar Association
- Selected, Indiana Super Lawyers® Magazine, Healthcare Law
- Rated, AV® Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Assistant Editor, Indiana Law Journal