Stephen S. Lavallo
Steve has more than 30 years’ experience in the practice of worker’s compensation, business, real estate, and estate planning and administration. He represents businesses, both large and small, as well as individuals in a wide variety of business transactions, organization, sales and leasing of properties, and in the defense of companies from worker’s compensation claims. In addition, Steve advises individuals in connection with their estate and wealth transfer planning and during the process of probate and trust administration. Steve is also a certified civil mediator.
- 1983: Denison University, Granville, Ohio, B.A
- 1986: Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Mo., J.D.
- Worker’s Compensation: Represents various business, either through their insurance company or self-insured, in the defense of worker’s compensation claims.
- Closely-held Businesses: Counsels small business owners concerning the formation of limited liability companies, partnerships and corporations, shareholder agreements, operating agreements, bylaws, and confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Estate Planning: Develops and implements estate plans for individuals and families, including wills, various trusts, intra-family loans, guardianships and gifting.
- Business Law: Represents business clients in asset acquisitions, mergers and sales of interest.
- Probate and Trust Administration: Represents banks and individuals in their roles as personal representatives and as trustees of various trusts, including inter-vivos trusts and irrevocable life insurance trusts.
- Real Estate Law: Assists clients in real estate acquisitions, leases and sales.
- Mediations: Provides mediation services in business, estate and worker’s compensation litigation.
Publications and Presentations
- “Rate Decrease for Workers’ Comp Premiums,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2018)
- “Indiana Court of Appeals Upholds Worker’s Compensation Board’s Longtime Policy,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2017)
- “Board-Ordered IME Results Under Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act Not Automatically Followed,”Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (July 2016)
- “Breaking News: Supreme Court Extends Same-Sex Marriage Nationwide,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2015)
- “Gun Trusts to Transfer Weapons Upon Death,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2015)
- “Legal Aspects of Documentation,” Indiana Occupational Therapy Association Southwest District, Presenter (September 2014)
- “Latest Development: Indiana Ban on Same-Sex Marriage,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2014)
- “Breaking News: Indiana’s Ban on Gay Marriage Overturned,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2014)
- “Injured Employee has Lone Remedy Through Worker’s Compensation Act,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2014)
- “Yes, Concurrent Eligibility for Worker’s Compensation Benefits and Unemployment Benefits Is Possible,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (November 2013)
- “Business Insurance: Legal Protections and Pitfalls,” KDDK Seminar, Presenter (October 2013)
- “Determining When an Injury Arises Out of Employment,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2013)
- “Worker’s Comp – No Double Dipping Allowed,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2012)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indiana Defense Lawyers Association
- Indiana Worker’s Compensation Institute, Southern Indiana Division: President (1994 – present)
- Indiana Worker’s Compensation Institute, State Division
- National Worker’s Compensation Defense Network: Charter Member
- Evansville Estate Planning Council: Board of Directors (1997 – 2006), President (2006)
- Evansville Bar Association: Diversity Committee, Member; Grievance Committee, Chairman
- Evansville Bar Foundation: Board of Directors (2006 – 2009), Treasurer, Secretary
- Evansville Rotary Club: Member (1995 – Present)
- Southwestern Regional Council on Aging Foundation: Board of Directors (2000 – 2004), President (2004 – 2009)
- Southwestern Regional Council on Aging: Board of Directors (2009 – present), Secretary (2009 – 2015)
- Evansville Downtown Civitan Club: President (1991), Lt. Governor (1993 – 1994)
- Italian-American Association: Board of Directors, President (1990 – 1992)
- McCutchanville Community Association: Board of Directors (1998 – 2004)
- Oak Meadow Golf Club: Board of Directors (2000 – 2004)
- Holy Redeemer Church: Finance Committee (1991 – 1998), Capital Campaign (1998 – 2003)
- Community Marriage Builders: Board of Directors (2012 – 2016), President (2014 – 2015)
- Rated, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized, Best Lawyers in Indiana, Worker’s Compensation Law (2008)
- Recipient, Italian American Association President’s Award (1994)
- Recipient, Civitan International Outstanding President of Midwest District Award (1992)
- Recipient, Evansville Downtown Civitan Club Honor Key (1995)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Worker’s Compensation Board of Indiana