Steven M. Theising
Steven M. Theising practices primarily in the areas of business, real estate, tax and employee benefits, and healthcare law. Steve utilizes his accounting and financial background and experience to provide practical and effective legal and business advice in efficiently closing and completing complex business transactions and contract negotiations in the areas of construction, manufacturing and healthcare. He also assists clients with analyzing and resolving employee benefit and estate planning issues.
Outside of work, Steve enjoys spending time with his wife and daughters, golfing and cheering on his favorite sports teams: the Indiana Hoosiers, San Francisco Giants and Green Bay Packers.
- 2007: Indiana University Kelley School of Business, Bloomington, Ind., B.S., Accounting and Finance
- 2010: Indiana University McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Ind., J.D.
- Business and Real Estate: Assists both public and privately owned businesses and individuals in a broad spectrum of business transactions including residential and commercial real estate transactions, mergers, and the sale/purchase of corporate assets.
- Tax and Employee Benefits: Provides legal and financial analysis to businesses and individuals on a variety of tax issues, including property taxes, employment taxes, and employee benefits, including withdrawal liability and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
- Contract Negotiation: Assists construction, manufacturing and industrial clients in the negotiation and incorporation of clauses pertaining to warranty, indemnity, dispute resolution and limitation of liability.
- Healthcare Law: Counsels healthcare clients on contractual matters, acquisitions, and regulatory and compliance issues.
- Estate Planning: Develops and implements estate plans for individuals and families, including wills, trusts, and powers of attorney and healthcare representative appointments.
Publications and Presentations
- “Employers and Coverage Providers Given More Time to Deliver 2017 Health Coverage Information Returns,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (January 2018)
- “Are You Covered? The Importance of Insurance Requirement Provisions in Commercial Contracts,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2017)
- “Study Estimates Affordable Care Act Penalties Could Reach $31 Billion,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (January 2017)
- “New Trade Secrets Law Requires Certain Disclosures,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2016)
- “Supreme Court Hears (Another) Challenge to the Affordable Care Act,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (April 2016)
- “Sweeping Spending Package Could Force Hard Decisions,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (December 2015)
- “PACE Act Impacts Small Employers,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (November 2015)
- “’Successor Owner’ Must Pay More Unemployment Benefits,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2015)
- “Asset Purchaser Could Owe Pension Plan $662K in Withdrawal Liability,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (August 2015)
- “Supreme Court Upholds Federal Subsidies Under Affordable Care Act,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (July 2015)
- “Legislative Update: New Property Tax Assessment and Appeal Deadlines/Procedures Take Effect,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2014)
- “Avoid Going ‘All-In’ On A Single Contract: Negotiating Liability Limits,” The Network, Indiana State Bar Association, Co-Author (August 2014)
- “Supreme Court Says For-Profits Can Avoid ACA Contraception Mandate,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (July 2014)
- “Contractor Wins Appeal of Independent Site Condition Investigation Requirements,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2014)
- “Arbitration: What Is It and Why Should We Do It?” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2014)
- “Contractual Provisions May Negate Contractors’ Ability to Rely on Owner-Provided Specifications,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2014)
- “Obama Administration (Again) Delays Part of Employer Mandate,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2014)
- “7th Circuit Upholds Limitation of Liability Clause for Design Professional,”Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (December 2013)
- “Prepare for Impact: Bracing Your Business for Health Care Reform Impacts in 2014 and Beyond,” Jasper Chamber of Commerce Seminar, Presenter (October 2013)
- “Healthcare Reform in Indiana: A Reality Check as Deadlines Approach,” WorkOne Southwest Indiana Seminar, Presenter (June 2013)
- “When Does ‘Pay-If-Paid’ Mean ‘Pay-When-Paid’?”Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2013)
- “Jury Finds Samsung Infringed on Apple Patents; Awards Over $1 Billion in Damages,”Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2012)
- “Landlord-Tenant Law – Lease Drafting, Structuring, and Negotiations,” Sterling Education Services Seminar, Presenter (October 2011, October 2012)
- “Property Tax In Indiana – Property Tax Appeals Procedures,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter (December 2011)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Evansville Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- Junior Achievement of Southwestern Indiana: Board of Directors
- Indiana District of Kiwanis Southwind Division: Former Lt. Governor
- Green River Kiwanis Club: Past President
- Green River Kiwanis Foundation: Founder and President
- Jacob’s Village: Vice Chairman, Board of Directors
- Rotaract Club of Evansville: Former Board of Directors
- Evansville Bar Association Mock Trial Competition
- Young Professionals Network of Southwest Indiana
- Indiana University Alumni Club of Greater Evansville
- Selected, “20 Under 40,” Tri-State Business Journal (2018)
- Order of Barristers – Indiana University Indianapolis Intramural Moot Court Competition (2008-2009)