Steve Hoar focuses his practice on business litigation, including disputes related to contracts, financial services, corporate governance, construction projects, manufacturing, and real estate. He uses his more than 20 years of litigation experience to gather the evidence necessary for building a case for trial while also exploring early resolution of disputes when appropriate. Steve is a past president of the Evansville Bar Association and currently represents 11 counties in Southwest Indiana on the Board of Governors of the Indiana State Bar Association.
- 1994: DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind., B.A. cum laude
- 1997: Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Bloomington, Ind., J.D.
- Financial Services Litigation: Defends financial institutions in lawsuits alleging unlawful lending practices. Defends financial professionals against malpractice claims. Represents clients in cases alleging violations of consumer protection laws. Prosecuted $20 Million employee fraud claim against surety.
- Construction Litigation: Has advocated for contractors in multi-party construction lawsuits in a variety of venues, including in oral argument before the Indiana Supreme Court. Prosecutes and defends construction defect claims against contractors, sureties, and design professionals.
- Manufacturing Litigation: Represented clients in cases involving alleged defective equipment design and manufacture.
- Real Estate Litigation: Represents landlords and tenants in commercial lease disputes. Represents real estate owners in cases involving boundary and ownership disputes.
- Corporate Litigation: Represents clients in cases involving corporate shareholder disputes.
- Creditors’ Rights Litigation: Enforces creditors’ rights in matters involving assertion and foreclosure of mortgages and liens, replevins, receiverships, repossessions, garnishments, personal property executions, and collection of judgments.
- Trust and Estate Litigation: Represents clients in will contests and trust challenges.
- Banking and Financial Services
Publications and Presentations
- “Home Improvement Contractors: Do Your Contracts Comply With the Indiana Home Improvement Contract Act?” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (August 2014)
- “The Other Side Broke the Contract – Now What Do I Do?,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (August 2014)
- “Taking Advantage of Legal Warranties in the Manufacturing Chain of Supply,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (October 2013)
- “Mediation Ethics,” Brooks American Inn of Court, Presenter (April 2013)
- “Navigating the Complexities of Indiana’s Mechanic’s Lien Statute,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (April 2013)
- “Collecting Corporate Debt by Piercing the Corporate Veil,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (September 2012)
- “Judgments, Collections, and Motions for Proceedings Supplemental,” Evansville Bar Association (April 2012)
- “Collection Practices After Carter v. Grace Whitney Properties,” Evansville Bar Association (December 2011)
- “The Use of Informations for Contempt in Post Judgment Collection Proceedings,” Evansville Bar Association (December 2009)
- “Construction Case Law Update,” Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (November 2008)
- “Collection Law Tips and Strategies,” National Business Institute (November 2008)
- “Public Contracts and Procurement Regulations,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter (July 2008)
- “Courtroom Technology,” Brooks American Inn of Court (November 2005)
- “A Complete Guide to Handling Debt Collection in Indiana,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter (March 2005, September 2004 and July 2003)
- “Avoiding Claims and Disputes Between General Contractors, Subcontractors and Suppliers,” Evansville Chapter of the Construction Financial Management Association Seminar, Presenter (September 2002)
- “Preserving Error at Depositions,” Brooks American Inn of Court (May 2002)
- Evansville Bar Association: Past President, Membership Committee (Chairman), Editorial Board (Past Chairman and Current Member), Bench and Bar Committee, Communications Committee, Commercial Law Section (Past Chairman)
- Indiana State Bar Association: Board of Governors, Membership and Membership Benefits Committee (Vice-Chair), Long-Range Planning Committee, Professional Legal Education, Admission and Development Section, Litigation Section, Construction & Surety Law Section, Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights Section
- American Bar Association: Litigation Section, Construction Law Forum
- Brooks American Inn of Court
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana: Construction Law Section
- The National Creditors Bar Association
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s Mid-Central Regional Trial Advocacy Program Graduate
- St. John the Baptist Catholic School Council: Past President and Current Member
- Vanderburgh Law Library Foundation: Past President and Current Member of Board of Directors
- Sterling United Federal Credit Union: Former Chairman of Board of Directors
- Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra: Former Member of Board of Directors
- Evansville Westside Kiwanis Club: Past President
- Leadership Evansville: Program Alumnus
- Rated, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected, Indiana Super Lawyers® Magazine, Rising Star (2011, 2012)
- Recipient, Indiana District of Kiwanis Distinguished Club President Award
- CALI Award for Trial Process (highest grade in class)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit