Kent A. “KAB” Brasseale II
KAB’s degree in Chemical Engineering from Purdue University and his 25+ years’ experience equip him with the skills and knowledge to efficiently and effectively represent clients in environmental, mineral, intellectual property, construction, business and real estate matters. His energy and natural resources practice also includes extensive work relating to wind farm and solar projects. KAB’s experience equips him well to counsel clients through the negotiation of natural and renewable energy agreements to reduce the opportunities for disagreement, or litigation, in the future. KAB takes the time to understand his clients’ needs and objectives. KAB’s experience, combined with his active service in civic and professional organizations and as a real estate licensing instructor, have yielded the skills to achieve efficient “win-win” results.
- 1990: Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind., B.S.
- 1993: Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Bloomington, Ind., J.D.
- Mineral, Oil and Gas
- Real Estate
- Construction: Achieves cost and performance objectives in commercial, industrial, higher education, and healthcare projects by negotiating effective contracts to efficiently address delegation of responsibilities, indemnification, obligations, and dispute resolution methods.
- Oil, Gas and Minerals: Increases economic benefit through creative lease negotiations for owners in large oil and methane gas lease transactions; assists operators with large mineral asset sales and acquisitions; and works with investors in capitalizing development projects of all sizes.
- Wind Farm and Solar Projects: Has negotiated and drafted several agreements to secure favorable terms and important protections for landowners in renewable energy projects ranging in size from 50 MW to greater than 250 MW.
- Brownfield Redevelopment: Enhances property values and regains marketability by assisting clients with environmental assessment, remediation, cost recovery, and compliance.
- Real Estate Development: Achieves time and budget objectives for large commercial and industrial projects by negotiating land acquisitions, securing appropriate zoning and tax abatements, and securing funding.
- Trademark and Copyright: Obtains trademark and copyright registrations and protects those rights by successfully resolving infringement claims.
- Intellectual Property: Protects businesses’ valuable proprietary information by negotiating unique confidentiality agreements and prosecuting claims to protect against unfair use and dissemination.
- Evansville Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association: Environmental Section, Secretary
- Indiana Oil & Gas Association
- Illinois Oil & Gas Association
- Indiana Licensed Real Estate Instructor
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Ohio Valley: Board of Directors; Clays for a Cause Committee
- Southwest Indiana Chamber: Environmental Committee, Former Chairman
- Big Creek Wetlands Foundation, Inc.: Vice President, Director
- Evansville Christian School: Former Director
- Kennel Club of Evansville, Inc.: Former President
Publications and Presentations
- “Natural Resource Bill Sets Stage for Property Rights, Public Resources Debate,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2018)
- “Supreme Court’s “Water of the U.S.” Ruling Means Continued Uncertainty,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (January 2018)
- “More Coherent Federal Waters Definition Proposed by EPA,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2017)
- “Court Awards $23 Million for Failure to Release Expired Oil and Gas Lease,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (June 2017)
- “New Leader, New Rules: The President Trump White House and impactful environmental and commercial real estate law developments,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2017)
- “EPA’s Mercury Rule in Limbo After D.C. Circuit Order,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (May 2017)
- “Get the Dirt on Soil, Air and Water: Recent Developments in Environmental Law,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2016)
- “No More Stringent Than” Bill Back in the Spotlight,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (February 2016)
- “Legal Updates Regarding Land Development” and “Commercial Property Purchase and Lease,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (May 2015)
- “Insurance Coverage Does Not Extend To Known Environmental Conditions,” Article Published on KDDK.com, Author (April 2015)
- “EPA’s Regulatory Vise Grip: Protecting Your Business from Aggressive Enforcement Actions,” Kahn, Dees, Donovan & Kahn Seminar, Presenter (August 2013)
- “Public Contracts and Procurement Regulations,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, Presenter
- Real Estate Certification Program Instructor, 1996 to present
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Evansville (2019, 2017)
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America©, Construction Law
- Rated, AV® Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell®
- State of Indiana
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana