W. Royal Gearhart II
Royal Gearhart works to find effective solutions to business and individual clients’ legal issues using his unique mix of analytical ability and creativity. A native of Indianapolis, Royal pursued his undergraduate degree at Wabash College. While at Wabash, Royal took advantage of several study abroad and immersive Spanish language programs. Upon graduating from Wabash with a bachelor’s degree in English and Spanish in 2009, Royal spent two years living and working in South America before entering law school. He earned his Juris Doctor with a graduate certificate in environmental and natural resources law from the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in 2014. Royal gained invaluable experience in many practice areas during law school by clerking and providing translation services for attorneys in the Indianapolis area.
With this combination of textbook and experiential learning, Royal is well suited to practice environmental and mineral law, business law, immigration law, family and private adoption law, estate planning, and litigation. In particular, Royal has extensive knowledge and experience with family-based immigration law and employment-based immigration law, including H-1B visa application, immigration waivers, and asylum applications, and has had numerous petitions approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Royal is proud to serve the legal needs of our immigrant and Spanish-speaking population.
- 2009: Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Ind., B.A., English and Spanish
- 2014: Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Ind., J.D., o Graduate Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law
- Employment-Based Immigrant Visas: Counsels immigrants seeking work in the United States to file the appropriate employment visa application (E1, E2, E3, E4, or E5) for themselves and their family members, if applicable.
- H-1B Visas: Guides U.S. employers in their petition for H-1B non-immigrant visas for foreign workers in “specialty occupations” that require theoretical and practice application of a highly specialized body of knowledge.
- Family-Based Immigrant Visas: Assists sponsoring relatives in pursuing Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas and Family Preference Immigrant Visas, including filing and upgrading Alien Relative Petitions and all other necessary paperwork with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Asylum Applications: Serves individuals seeking to immigrate to the United States because they have suffered or fear persecution due to race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.
- Immigration Waivers: Assists immigrant visa applicants who are immediate relatives of U.S. citizens to apply for provisional unlawful presence waivers before they depart the United States for their consular immigrant visa interview in their home countries.
- Environmental Law: Assists clients with environmental assessment and remediation, cost recovery and compliance.
- Environmental Cost Recovery: Aids owners and operators in the recovery of funds from prior owners and operators and insurance to address environmental fees and expenses typically associated with the investigation and clean-up of historical manufacturing, dry cleaning and underground storage tank operations.
- Family Law: Represents individuals in the drafting and negotiation of pre-marriage contracts, dissolution of marriage (divorce), issues of child custody and child support, and other family law concerns, litigating matters that cannot be resolved outside of court.
- Private Adoption: Represents birth parents and adoptive parents in court-supervised private (independent) adoptions which do not involve child placement agencies.
- Estate Planning: Assists clients in creating and updating estate plan documents such as wills and living wills.
- Insurance Subrogation: Assists insurance carriers and commercial businesses in recovering losses involving motor vehicle accidents, homeowner issues and property damage claims.
- Litigation: Represents individuals, businesses and other entities in contract disputes and other litigation matters before judges and juries in Indiana state courts.
- American Immigration Lawyers’ Association (AILA)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Evansville Bar Association: Commercial Law Section, Employment Law Section, Real Property Section, Young Lawyers Section
- Brooks American Inn of Court
- Evansville Minority-owned/Women-owned Business Enterprise Utilization Board
- Latino Collaboration Table: Vice President
- Parenting Time Center: Vice President
- Mayor’s Latino Advisory Committee
Publications and Presentations
- “H-1B Visa Renewal Process to Become More Difficult,” Author, Article Published on www.KDDK.com (December 2017)
- “BREAKING: Trump Administration Announces Termination of DACA Program,” Author, Article Published on www.KDDK.com (September 2017)
- “H-1B Employer Obligations: Are you Compliant?,” Author, Article Published on www.KDDK.com (April 2017)
- “Immigration Law: What Employers Need to Know,” Jasper Chamber of Commerce Seminar, Presenter (2017)
- “Many Permanent Residents Worried about Political Climate Can Alleviate Concerns by Obtaining Citizenship,” Author, Article Published on www.KDDK.com (March 2017)
- “I thought a Visa was a credit card: Immigration 101,” Evansville Bar Association CLE, Presenter (October 2015)
- “Language and the Law: Current Language Related Issues in the Legal Field,” Presenter (2014)
- State of Indiana
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana